11 Sep Easy Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe
Truth be told, I could eat soup all year round. But, as fall and winter approaches, I really get in the mood for it! Having switched to a plant-based diet means that many of my favorite soups are no longer edible. But how do you make a hearty, protein-packed soup without meat? Lentils! Lentils are high in protein and fiber, so they’ll keep you full.
Lentil soup has always been one of my go-tos, but some companies still use chicken stock to make it or add meat to it, so I decided to start making my own. This way, I know exactly what is going into it and I can keep an eye on how much sodium I’m ingesting. You’ll notice that most of my recipes say “salt to taste” or “season to taste”. I don’t like a salty soup, but maybe you do… so you have the option to go sodium crazy if you want to.
Another awesome thing about this recipe? It’s meal prep friendly. This will make 5-6 servings.
Let’s get to it…
1 1/4 cups green or brown lentils
1 or 2 celery stalks, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped or shredded
1/2 yellow onion, diced
10oz frozen spinach
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and black pepper
32oz vegetable broth
15 oz can of diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1/4 tsp Thyme
1 bay leaf
1 TBSP vinegar
- Soak the lentils overnight. You will drastically cut down on cook time if you soak them for at least 12 hours. You can leave them in a covered bowl on the counter. The next day, drain and rinse.
- In a medium sauce pot, saute the garlic in 2 TBSP of EVOO until aromatic. Then, add the diced onion, chopped carrots, and chopped celery. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until tender.
- Add 320z of vegetable broth, the diced tomatoes with their juices, lentils, vinegar, Thyme, bay leaf, and more salt and pepper. Give it a good stir, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen spinach, allowing it to wilt. About 10 – 15 minutes. Stir.
- Use an immersion blender to create a creamier soup.
**If you soak the lentils the night before, the soup should cook in 30 – 35 minutes.
Check out my latest video to see the soup in action!