Meal prepping isnâ€™t just for bodybuilders; itâ€™s for whoever wants to eat healthier and save time during the week. Meal prepping lowers the chances of you hitting the drive-thru or even worse, not eating at allâ€¦
Iâ€™m always my leanest and less stressed when I take Sundays to cook all my meals for the week. Cooking is really cathartic and Iâ€™d love for people to fall in love with making things with their own hands. Happiness starts in the kitchen.
Take Saturday to:
- Plan your menu. Pick a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, and optional snack. (The optional snack is for days you need more fuel. If youâ€™re not hungry, donâ€™t eat it)
- From the menu, make your grocery listâ€¦ and stick to it.
- Grocery shop.
- Get all of your containers prepped and ready.
- Make all your food and put it in storage containers.
- Organize your fridge by meal.
Unless your training to be Mr. Universe and have specific goals in mind, I believe that your food should be flavorfulâ€¦ and yes, food can be both flavorful AND healthy. Your life shouldnâ€™t revolve around brown rice and boiled chicken. Meal prepping will help you portion food out to more human-sized meals without you really thinking about it. If you think your portions are too big, there are a lot of awesome portion control systems on the market. My favorite is Beachbodyâ€™s The Portion Fix.
Hereâ€™s my sample Meal Plan Menu and Recipes! (Vegetarian and vegan friendly)
Pomegranate and Coconut
Overnight Oats with Walnuts
- Â½ cup large-flake oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Â½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp pomegranate arils
- 1 tbsp unsweetened large-flake coconut
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- Â½ cup coconut milk
- In an 8oz glass mason jar (with a lid), combine the oats, chia seeds, ground cinnamon, pomegranate arils, large-flake coconut and walnuts (if using). Put the lid on, and shake the jar to combine the ingredients.
- Pour in Â½ cup of coconut milk, and 1 tsp of maple syrup. Stir the contents to combine completely.
- Place the lid onto the jar and keep in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Enjoy cold or at room temperature.
(Mango, Pineapple, & Kiwi)
and 2 Hard Boiled Eggs
Dice up your fruit. I did a tropical mix, but whatever you like is great too! Each serving of fruit salad should be 1 to 1 Â½ cups. (I had extra pomegranate seeds, so I added them!)
Hard-boiling an egg is super easy. I put all my eggs in a pot. Once it starts to boil, I let it go for 10 minutes. Immediately after, I dumped the hot water out and run cold water over them. Then place them in the fridge.
Southwest Taco Salad
w/ Vegan Honey Chipotle Lime Dressing
Note: Some vegans will not use honey because they believe itâ€™s an animal productâ€¦ A bee is an insect. To each their own, though. If youâ€™re hardcore vegan, use agave syrup.
Â½ cup Kale
Â¼ cup Black Beans
Â¼ cup tomatoes, diced
Â¼ cup corn
3 TBSP chopped onion
Â¼ cup tortilla strips
1 serving of Beyond Meatâ€™s Southwest Chicken (vegan)
1 cup Veganaise
Juice of 1 small lime
1 TSP Chipotle seasoning
1 table spoon honey
Salt and Pepper
Combine salad ingredients in a bowl. SautÃ© the â€œchickenâ€ in 2 TBSPs of EVOO until warmed thru. Place on top of salad.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk the lime, honey, and chipotle into the Veganaise. Salt and pepper to taste. Serving size is 2 TBSPs.
Note: Add the tortilla strips right before eating so they donâ€™t get soggy!
Yogurt and Granola
This one is simple. Â½ cup of your favorite yogurt and Â¼ cup of your favorite granola. BOOM!
Roasted Harvest Veggies withÂ Potatoes
3 cups butternut squash, diced
4 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
4 cups potatoes, cubed
4 cups beets, cubed
1 cup onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper
Place all vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil; enough to coat them evenly. Add minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently and transfer evenly onto a cookie sheet. Cook in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes or until all veggies are tender. Serving size is 2 cups.
Youâ€™ll spend a couple hours in the kitchen, but save yourself so much time and energy during the week! Please tag @nikkinurtures on your own meal prep photos on instagram, pinterest, and twitter!